Monday, December 16, 2019

Things can only get better. Can't they?

The weather today was too good to let go to waste. Light wind, sunshine and... NO RAIN! I was set up after lunch, three baits out. I was too lazy to get the banksticks and alarms out. I'd be busy playing and landing pike anyway.


After the usual hour I moved. Although there were lots of fieldfares about there had been a distinct lack of waterfowl activity. As I moved my gear in three trips to the next swim a couple of moorhens broke cover from a marginal hawthorn. That was about all I saw on the water all afternoon.

Swim number two was as unproductive as the first one. A final move after an hour to a real banker swim. The pads have all but gone now so two baits were dropped where there would have been some lilies on teh surface during the summer and the third in the never-fail margin spot. OK, it does fail now and then, but it's turned up pike regularly in the past.

Despite his best efforts at fish spotting, Fred was no help. The banker was a blanker.


I'm beginning to wonder if it's the odd rod out that's jinxing me. Next time (whenever that will be) I'll be back on matching rods. That should get the pike feeding.