Friday, June 17, 2011

The fat ladies have sung

Maybe they haven't sung, but they certainly spawned. My tench fishing is all but over for this year. I thought there was a chance that the tench would have spawned since my last session, but I hadn't been prepared to watch them at it on Wednesday evening. Short and sweet as this year's tench 'campaign' has been, the weather forecast and commitments mean I can't get out again until next Wednesday. By then I expect the majority of tench will be down on their top weights. That said there might be a chance for a good haul if I can find the little tinkers when they move off the spawning area.

Pod by moonlight

A few tench did roll and tail slap in the vicinity of the bait I first put out on Tuesday afternoon so I wasn't without hope during my two-nighter. None can have got their heads down on the feed though. So I have little (read 'nothing') to report on the fish front. This session's entertainment was provided by a young black-headed gull which took to wandering around and dozing in my peg. The resident mallard drakes didn't take too kindly to it and often pecked at it when it tried to nick the maggots or bread I threw for them. It seemed a bit slow witted to me. Not at all like the pushy adult BHGs I'm used to seeing at the coast, although it did learn to rush in, grab some food, and rush away again before the mallards could get a beak to it.

The friendly BHG

Roland and his mates were in evidence again, accounting for the few bleeps on the alarms during the hours of darkness as they ran around and bumped into my rod pod. I slept soundly nonetheless. My highlight was watching flocks of starlings heading to their roost as the sun turned the western sky red and then heading out to feed as it rose again in the cool of dawn. I like starlings, even though they are a common bird. They have lots of character and their plumage is a match for any exotic bird.

With the lack of fish activity I amused myself by trying to take some 'arty' photos . Unfortunately the only willing subject I had was my rod-pod!

Symmetry of sorts...

The weather was changeable on Thursday. Two squally showers passed over during the afternoon, stirring the water to a light chop. This got the carp going both times. As the rain and wind came in they began crashing out near a weedbed in front of me. Once the rain eased and the wind dropped again they stopped. Why aquatic creatures like fish are moved to respond to dramatic changes in the weather like this remains a mystery, but it's a fact all right. I remember tench coming on the feed in similar circumstances a few years ago. Indeed, a couple of tench showed after the squalls, one right over my baited area. This convinced me to hang on until after tea-time. By then the weather had settled and it was a warm and sunny evening with lighter wind when I eventually admitted to myself I was on a hiding to nothing and packed up.

Despite the blank it was good to find my enthusiasm for fishing has returned. Sticking it out later than intended being a sure sign of that. Just being there was enjoyable, and the anticipation slow to wane. My idle moments were mostly spent thinking of what to do next. I reckon I might have got my fishing mojo back again.