Monday, July 11, 2011

Like perch in pod

Out with my camera looking for sunset opportunities yesterday I spotted a shoal of fry in some sparse weeds on my local canal. It looked like a perfect spot to nobble a perch or two on lures. With that in mind I returned this evening. Only to find someone floatfishing the very swim - and no other anglers in sight. Plan B. Go try a spot that was rumoured to have produced some big perch last winter.

I was travelling light, one rod, landing net and a shoulder bag containing scales, sling, camera and two boxes of lures. The 'hotspot' was tricky to fish owing to a load of floating weed. I hoped a curly tail shad would be more suited to the situation than trying to drag a treble hook rigged spinner or crankbait. So it proved, and second cast close to some stonework the lure got hit. The fish fell off but I suspected a small (tiny) jack. Another unseen fish dropped off followed by a confirmed sighting of a perch departing the scene. The perch wasn't much larger than the lure, so I swapped to a smaller bait.


It wasn't long before this lure got hit. And ejected. Then I managed to land a couple of perch both of a similar size to the others I had seen. Alike as peas, and shoaled up in a pod!

As far as fish landed that was my lot. I continued to drop fish on the small grub, one to a small Mann's crankbait, and a couple or three more to another small grub rigged on a slightly heavier pony-head jig. It was a nice enough way to pass a couple of hours on a windless summer evening. More fish landed would have improved it though!

Losing fish has been my experience of perch on jigs in the past. I don't know if it's the size of the fish or my tackle or technique. Given that only one perch I have lost on such a lure has been one that I might have weighed, I am giving the idea that it is the small size of the perch most credence.